Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Nathan's email from October 14

Subject:Feliz Dias das Crianças!


Although everyday seems to be in some way day of the children, the Brazilians feel it a necessary to celebrate and have a party for any occasion. So whereas us Americans only receive mothers day and fathers day, they celebrate children's day! It's like Christmas for them. My companion and I were invited to teach a family and we arrive to like 20 people and lots and lots of candy. It was pretty fun I'll admit, but the best part was when they had everyone sit down and listen to the missionaries share a message about Jesus :D So at the end of the message the oldest sister who organized the festivity says that they've all looked through churches trying to find one that makes sense and what do you have it, two missionaries show up to your party, they all want in together for the truth and the unity it will bring their families. I'm really excited for this family (it's not just a family its grandma, grandpa, 5 children, and all their children have 5 children... they like 5). Well actually, to clarify a little we taught Lucimara, one of the 5 children, and her family and the rest of the family saw the change in her life and how happy she is, so through her great example she is helping the rest of her family enjoy the blessings of the gospel. But wait on the details because we've only talked with them once. With the lords help I'm sure all will go right.
So onto news for you all. Yesterday night my companion receives a phone call. Elder Bailey is flying home for medical reasons and will be away for at least 8 weeks. I'm taking his place (which is in Ubiajara, still in my same district) and Elder De Paula is my companion. I'm already here and halfway unpacked. It all happened so quickly. An older fellow who helps out the missionaries is coming to be my companions companion until transfers lol. I'm sure all will go well, but as for me I haven't the foggiest as of what's in my new area, Elder De Paula said we've got a young man who will be baptised this weekend, that's wonderful news, but aside from this I'm at a loss so I'll have to fill you all in next week.
And now I must share my thanks to all who contributed to the wonderful package I received last week! It was so so so great to hear from you all and your testimonies and encouragement. The best part is reading your letters and its like the movies when the guy (or girl) opens a letter and the voice of the other is reading it. It's so fun to read cause it's so YOU! But I have to admit for the funniest people award that goes hands down to the Rasmussen family lol, I don't stop laughing until 5 minutes after I read whatever it is they decide to write about. But I love you all and I'm so grateful for your love and concern for me and all the missionaries. Hope you all have a fantastic week and fantabulous weekend!

Elder Nate Spencer

No comments: