Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Nathan's email from October 7

Subject: Conferencia geral!!!

Wowy, well Brian laid down the line with the most awesomest conference ever, I don't know if it really truly was better than ever before or if just being on the mission opens up your eyes and ears a bit more, but either way it was fantastic.

So my dear love brasil, how are you? Brasil is fantastic, movin along as always and in constant supply of the Lords elect. I don't believe I've shared the Lords wonderful blessing by way of investigators for awhile so I'll share some stories.
A couple of weeks ago we met a young father named Antionio, he has 2 daughters Aline (11) and Tatiane (6), his wife passed away a year ago from a brain aneurism and she was a member (inactive from what I got out of it) but he wasn't familiar with the church (that's why I figure she was inactive). Well what happens is he's searching for answers to life and also to the dreams hes been having. Well Elder Regis and I (I was on division with another missionary not my comp) knocked on the door to find him waiting and open to our message. We shared the first message with him about the restoration of the gospel and asked him to pray to know that Joseph Smith and the Book of Mormon are true, he said he would, but continued to relate his history about his wife and these dreams. We then related to him about the plan of salvation and how we can live as families forever, giving him the pamphlet about the plan of salvation, and marked as well 1 Nephi chapter 8 about Lehi's dream. (his dreams were unique and very similar to the plan of salvation with lots of symbolism, very interesting) well we marked to speak with him a couple of days later and come to find he had read the pamphlet and the chapters marked and he felt and understood his purpose more so than ever before in his life. He accepted to come to church bringing both his daughters and is now preparing for baptism the 18 of October. I know the Lord had and has his hand in the work here. This man was searching for truth and direction and the Lord sends his word. 'Ask and ye shall receive, knock and it shall be opened unto you'.

And the second, Elder Santana and I found yesterday afternoon while contacting some references we received. Her name is Elinete, she saw the ad on the telivision for a dvd about Jesus Christ. She tried calling and didn't get through, but showing her faith she tried once again later that day and it came through for her. What a blessing, we came to her home and she expressed her desires to understand truth. She said actually "there comes a time when you just need to know what's the truth" she was born catholic but found the inconsistancey of its teachings, visited many other churches but never felt right about them, so she resulted to just be part of a prayer group. This situation is where the miracle comes, after our message we ask here how she feels, and she said something eternally important "I've been searching for things to feel right, for a church that speaks of Christ and God. I feel something different right now, something right".

I know the Holy Ghost truly is the great testifier of the restored gospel of Jesus Christ. There is a purpose for him being 3rd only to God the Eternal Father and his Son Jesus Christ, it is because he and only he has the power to convert a child of God. I know the gospel is true, I know Joseph Smith was a prophet of God and I know that this is the path and there is no other path by which man can be saved. Thank you all for your love and support. I hope you all have a fantastic week.
love

Elder Nate Spencer

No comments: